Monday, April 25, 2011

Plucker!

'Carpe' translates literally as 'pluck', with particular reference to the picking of fruit, so an accurate rendition (of 'Carpe Diem') is 'enjoy the day, pluck the day when it is ripe'. The extended version of the phrase 'carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero' translates as 'Pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the future'.
Source: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/carpe-diem.html

With all due respect to "Seize," "Pluck," in my opinion, is a pretty cool word. What kind of "Plucking" are we doing?

Have you ever sensed the tension of both going full-out and resting? I find myself in a phase of life where I'm just beginning to appreciate the balance of work and rest. When I work, doing it all for the glory of God, I find myself even more effective and excellent when I follow up the full-out "plucking" with a good, intentional time of rest.

I believe there are times to "pluck" or seize the day and there are times to retreat. Additionally, I believe there are several different areas of life to "pluck" at varying times of life. Unfortunately, I sometimes feel I need permission to rest. Additionally, I am a hypocrite in this area. I preach resting far more than I practice it. I am thankful for folks who bully me into balance. If you own a Covey Planner, you know about planning your week according to your Roles - Physical, Social/Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual, and to plan each "Big Rock," or the one big thing you'd like to see occur during that week. I believe a balanced life is lived more effectively when we pluck balance. Work and rest.

I oftentimes ask my children, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" No matter how they answer, my next question is always the same, "What else?" I don't do that to be mean or to try to over-burden them. Instead, I am simply, in a small way, trying to prepare them to understand they will, as individuals, each have several roles. Within each role, there will be the opportunity to Pluck the day and there will a necessity to rest and retreat...so that the next time to "pluck" will be even more effective.

How are you doing with life? With balance? I am fully aware there are lazy people out there, but most of the friends I have chosen are go-getters. They are aggressive "Pluckers." Have you, friend, learned to aggressively rest so that the next time you pluck you are doing so in a healthy way? Are you plucking to the detriment of those around you? Is your plucking being done in excellence, or is it the dry bones, "all I have left" kind of plucking that really is not all that excellent? What kind of plucking are you doing? Do you pluck only as you work or have you begun to understand the importance of being a "Plucker" for rest? I'm asking myself the same question, often.

Thanks for listening. I'd love to hear your responses either here or on Facebook.

No comments: